Thursday, September 23, 2010

First album review

Today decided to do something a little different. I am going to be reviewing an album. And what shall I review for my first album? Here's a hint:

Yes, Demon Hunter's latest masterpiece, The World is A Thorn.

I will first review each track, rate each of them, and combine the scores at the end, and review the album as a whole.


Descending Upon Us: The intro to the album, has a nice quiet intro, that transcends into a great heavy kick-off. The verses are screamed out very well by Ryan, then the chorus is all singing, it is a beautiful mix. Overall a great song to start off.
Rating: 10/10, a perfect start.

LifeWar: Track one leads right into an explosion of track 2, a heavy, hard hitting vocal track. A great heavy song that will leave you headbanging for a bit.
Rating: 9.5/10, the album is continuing along nicely.

Collapsing: After such a heavy song, what else better to put than a heavy, yet melodic single. This is by far one of the best songs on the album. Great vocal job by Ryan, the vocal melodies are just amazing. And it also includes Bjorn "Speed" Strid, of Soilwork. His part is small, yet a perfect addition to the song. This song you'll be listening to for ages.
Rating: 10/10, a perfect single.

This is the Line: The intro on this song creeps me out a bit, but in a good way. This song is not as good as the others, but it's not something to just brush off. The chorus is well done.
Rating: 9/10, not as good as the first 3, but still good.

Driving Nails: The first quiet song of the album, and man, what a great song it is. It's a very nice break from all the other songs to remind you that, "Hey, we can do the softer stuff too, and make that sound just as great." I always enjoy the softer songs that DH puts out.
Rating: 9.5/10, another great lighter-sounding song.

The World is a Thorn: What better to put after a quiet song than a very very loud and heavy thriller. This song is just all heavy, much like LifeWar, but this takes it to another notch. A well-written song. Just makes me want to scream, "I DEFY!" The breakdown in this song is unreal.
Rating: 9.9/10, an amazing track.

Tie This Around Your Neck: I love this song. When the heavy first verse is done, it kicks into a very melodic vocal chorus. Just simply beautiful. "Tie this around your neck, FOOL!"
Rating: 9.5/10, another great one.

Just Breathe: What can I say about this song... just the fact that Christian Alvestam guest vocals in it already makes it top notch and kick-ass to the highest degree. Christian's vocal part is just mind-blowing, he is one of the best vocalists out there.
Rating: 10/10, I love it.

Shallow Water: The album takes a lighter step here. This has to be the track that I don't like as much, but it doesn't mean it is bad. There's just too many other good tracks that it has to compete against. I like the chorus though.
Rating: 8.5/10

Feel as Though You Could: Overall good song. I love the pre-chorus especially. Dave Peters puts some good guest vocals on here too.
Rating: 9/10

Blood in the Tears: A great ending to the regular album. A very nice soft ending to the album. Ryan's vocals have improved vastly over the years, and I must say this album has his best yet.
Rating: 9.5/10

Bonus tracks:

Desire the Pain: A nice softer song, I like this a lot, but I was hoping for a bonus track that was a bit heavier. But this does justice fairly well.
Rating: 8.5/10

Driving Nails(string mix): This is exactly like the original song, only even more acoustic and EPIC. I love the standalone vocals on it. Just simply beautiful.
Rating: 10/10


AVERAGE RATING: 9.4/10


Album as a whole:
When they announced that they were working on the fifth album, I went crazy. I enjoyed all their previous albums very much. When they announced that it was gonna be heavy and more melodic, I went even more nuts. I am a sucker for melodic albums. Demon Hunter by now know how to make a good album, this being their fifth. All I have to say is.... GO BUY THIS ALBUM, IT IS WORTH IT.


            Cheers,
                        Soilworker


No comments:

Post a Comment